Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] pdrahn@coinet.com is offline

Default Something I gotta make soon.

On May 7, 4:35*pm, "Wild_Bill" wrote:
A popular modification for the lowly, but very practical 4x6 horiz-vert
bandsaws, is to drill and tap the farther end of a jaw to install a "jack
bolt" into.

Then when a short piece of stock needs to be cut, but it's not long enough
to keep the vise jaws parallel for a secure grip, the bolt can be used to
adjust the jaws for a secure grip.

--
WB

"Wes" wrote in message

Today I wasted a lot of time making a 3" sq block into 2 1/2" square. *We
have a decent
saw, I should have used it in retrospect.

Like many horizontal band saws it has a swinging clamp which means you
have to have
something long or a spacer on the other side of the movable jaw. *Not
wishing to dick with
the swinging clamp and short stock had me using the mill.

I'm thinking a bit of square stock with a hole tapped for a 3/8 bolt that
covers at least
an inch of range will be quite usefull.

Wes

I did the tapped corner hole and it sort of works. Problem is, it
wants to tilt the movable jaw backwards if much pressure is applied. I
seldom use it anymore. I will try the trick of using two mill hold
down studs and a joining nut. If placed at the bottom of the jaws, it
just might do the trick.

Paul