Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Something I gotta make soon.

Today I wasted a lot of time making a 3" sq block into 2 1/2" square. We have a decent
saw, I should have used it in retrospect.

Like many horizontal band saws it has a swinging clamp which means you have to have
something long or a spacer on the other side of the movable jaw. Not wishing to dick with
the swinging clamp and short stock had me using the mill.

I'm thinking a bit of square stock with a hole tapped for a 3/8 bolt that covers at least
an inch of range will be quite usefull.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

A popular modification for the lowly, but very practical 4x6 horiz-vert
bandsaws, is to drill and tap the farther end of a jaw to install a "jack
bolt" into.

Then when a short piece of stock needs to be cut, but it's not long enough
to keep the vise jaws parallel for a secure grip, the bolt can be used to
adjust the jaws for a secure grip.

--
WB

"Wes" wrote in message
Today I wasted a lot of time making a 3" sq block into 2 1/2" square. We
have a decent
saw, I should have used it in retrospect.

Like many horizontal band saws it has a swinging clamp which means you
have to have
something long or a spacer on the other side of the movable jaw. Not
wishing to dick with
the swinging clamp and short stock had me using the mill.

I'm thinking a bit of square stock with a hole tapped for a 3/8 bolt that
covers at least
an inch of range will be quite usefull.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote:

Just use a 1/2-13 clamping stud from a mill Wes.
Take two of the "connector" nuts and use them, one on rech end, to fine
tune the length.

Or use a step block pair from your clamping set and go in 1/16"
increments.

Oblivious solutions that should have been obvious. Keep them coming.

Thanks Pete,

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
A popular modification for the lowly, but very practical 4x6 horiz-vert
bandsaws, is to drill and tap the farther end of a jaw to install a "jack
bolt" into.

Then when a short piece of stock needs to be cut, but it's not long enough
to keep the vise jaws parallel for a secure grip, the bolt can be used to
adjust the jaws for a secure grip.

I have also found that not only do you need to deal with the jaws in the
horizontal plane but also in vertical: Small parts were getting lifted up by
the jaws. This I cured by a small C-clamp...

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 7, 5:32*pm, Wes wrote:
Today I wasted a lot of time making a 3" sq block into 2 1/2" square. *We have a decent
saw, I should have used it in retrospect.

Like many horizontal band saws it has a swinging clamp which means you have to have
something long or a spacer on the other side of the movable jaw. *Not wishing to dick with
the swinging clamp and short stock had me using the mill.

I'm thinking a bit of square stock with a hole tapped for a 3/8 bolt that covers at least
an inch of range will be quite usefull.

Wes

Here's another idea (in addition to the others already posted). Make
or modify a set of parallel clamps that work the reverse of the normal
ones (so that the screw closest to the work is in compression not
tension):
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...MITEM=412-1625

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message

Today I wasted a lot of time making a 3" sq block into 2 1/2" square. *We
have a decent
saw, I should have used it in retrospect.

Like many horizontal band saws it has a swinging clamp which means you
have to have
something long or a spacer on the other side of the movable jaw. *Not
wishing to dick with
the swinging clamp and short stock had me using the mill.

I'm thinking a bit of square stock with a hole tapped for a 3/8 bolt that
covers at least
an inch of range will be quite usefull.

Wes

I did the tapped corner hole and it sort of works. Problem is, it
wants to tilt the movable jaw backwards if much pressure is applied. I
seldom use it anymore. I will try the trick of using two mill hold
down studs and a joining nut. If placed at the bottom of the jaws, it
just might do the trick.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 7, 7:47*pm, Wes wrote:
Oblivious solutions that should have been obvious. *Keep them coming.
Wes

C-clamp the work to the fixed jaw. Check that the clamp won't block
the descending saw frame.

Back off the sliding jaw and use a tee-nut clamp kit in its curved
slot.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 07 May 2010 18:32:35 -0400, Wes
wrote:

Today I wasted a lot of time making a 3" sq block into 2 1/2" square. We have a decent
saw, I should have used it in retrospect.

Like many horizontal band saws it has a swinging clamp which means you have to have
something long or a spacer on the other side of the movable jaw. Not wishing to dick with
the swinging clamp and short stock had me using the mill.

I'm thinking a bit of square stock with a hole tapped for a 3/8 bolt that covers at least
an inch of range will be quite usefull.

Wes

Hey Wes,

Ummmmm.....isn't that what adjustable parallels were invented for??
A magnet alongside keeps it in place until you're ready. You can even
get a cheap set and change that stupid little slotted screw to a
"knob" thingy so it's really quick, at least on the ones over two
inches.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.