Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default "Adjust Tru" Chucks

On 2010-05-07, Searcher7 wrote:
On 2010-04-25, Searcher7 wrote:

I have a mini-lathe, but even for those with the larger machines I was
looking for opinions on whether or not the "Adjust Tru" feature on
something like the Bison is really worth the money.

[ ... ]

I need to turn a variety diameters. But may also be getting into a
project involving "piston and bore" accuracy.

BTW. I wondering if one of these eBay chucks can be adapted to my
lathe: A) 320527041801 B) 350349970482

Could you bother saying what the size of the lathe is?
"Mini-Lathe" does not devine it for me.

Anyway -- the first one is 4" diameter, and a 3-jaw chuck
normally should not be much larger than 1/2 the swing of the lathe. At
a guess, your "mini-lathe" could be one of the 7x10" lathes, which would
put a maximum 3-jaw chuck size of 3-1/2". (4-jaw chucks can be, and
often are, larger.) This chuck is for at least an 8" swing lathe.

Anyway -- as supplied, with a #10 B&S taper, it is not likely to
fit anything which qualifies as a "mini" lathe, though replacing the
taper with a different chuck backplate could cure this.

Both auctions are closed, so it does not matter anyway.

Speaking of collet chucks. I can't seem to find much info on the one I
have shown at the top of this page:

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...slander/Tools/

I have to figure out how to use it and if I'm missing any parts.(It
came in the same box which was supposed to contain the 5C collect
chuck).

I think that this is intended to be held in a larger chuck (or a
in a *very* large collet) to do a makeshift adaptation to 5C collets. I
can't see clearly whether the black end has a proper taper for closing a
5C collet or not. The other end certainly does not.

If the black end has the taper for a 5C collet, you thread the
collet into the separate ring (which I presume has threads on the ID to
match a 5C collet) chuck the silver part in the chuck or very large
collet, and use the tommy bar to rotate the black part to close the
collet.

It is sort of like the square and hex collet blocks for use
with a milling machine. To see examples of these, see eBay auction:

400116973584

Anyway -- I don't see what you have illustrated as being any use in a
lathe which qualifies as "mini". :-)

Good luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564