LP

Default Lessons in Grammar: WAS Lee Valley optical center punch

On 28 Dec 2003 06:58:17 GMT, otforme (Charlie Self)
wrote:

Luigi Zanasi writes:

You know what does that? Reading on the net. You start to write like what
you're reading.

Can't be. Robin didn't use an apostrophe -- as in "reply's". More
likely too much testing of the beer glasses. :-)

Possibly. I do wonder if anyone, anywhere in the English speaking world,
bothers to teach the difference between plurals and possessives any more.

I seriously doubt it. They don't teach the difference between nouns
and verbs either, apparently.

My personal pet peeve in this area is the inappropriate use of the
word "router", as in "I'm going to router a groove in it." "Router"
is a noun and describes the tool, while "rout" is the verb and
describes the action performed with the (noun) tool.

Inattention to detail seems to be the order of the day, and greatly
detracts from our ability to communicate.