Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Results of rifle bedding attempt

On Thu, 06 May 2010 23:03:09 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

On Thu, 06 May 2010 19:29:58 -0500, cavelamb
wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:
I promised to report results on this activity. I'm pleased with the
results. The accuracy of a decent but inexpensive rifle was
significantly improved with one of the several loads tried today.
There were also some loads (different powder) it didn't shoot well at
all, though it has never shot any load so badly that it'd miss COM on
a deer at 200 yards, which is too far to be shooting deer with a .243.
I think after bedding it is now accurate enough to be used on varmints
out to 300 yards.

http://members.goldengate.net/dforem..._rifle_result/

That's a big dime!
Or one accurate piece...

The holes really are 6mm dia, not .50 cal. :)

That group wouldn't rate a sneer among bench rest competitors whose
multi-thousand dollar 6mmPPC rifles (with similarly pricey scopes)
routinely punch 0.200" groups at 200 yards. 6mmPPC is ballistically
very similar to .243 Winchester and shoots the same bullets but the
rifles are hand-crafted to very exacting standards, using bull barrels
maybe 1-1/2" in diameter. There were two of those at the range today.
Their owners weren't shooting them anywhere near that well today but I
don't doubt that the rifles are capable.

But I feel pretty good about how my little off-the-rack
consumer-grade Savage, bought from floor stock at The General Store in
Osakis, MN, seems to work after bedding it and doing a bit of load
development. Oh, and moving up to a $195 scope.

Savage is probably the most accurate of all the Big 5 manufactures at
the moment.

Its a very very pleasant suprise what the "new" owner, Ronald Coburn,
did with Savage Arms. He took a company that had a very spotty..in some
cases..absolutly ****ty reputation and turned it around.

Ive owned Savage arms for many years and with few exceptions, they were
mediocre pieces of crap designed by mutants. Coburn took over..got them
off virtual bankruptcy and produces some of the finest production arms
ever made.

The only Savage centerfire long gun I ever owned that I really
liked..was a mint+ 24D over and under...20ga Mag under 357 Remington
Maximum. And its the only one Ive ever seen. I cant find any reliable
records of that combination. I carry it a lot when out in the desert
during bird season..as it takes birds and coyotes nicely. Not a bad
score for $150, eh?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savage_Arms

Gunner

--