Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
cavelamb cavelamb is offline

Default Questions about underwater oil drilling..

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
I was watching the BP control room running robots from Houston.
They experimented with a cutter tool and it sliced through the
main pipe and drill stem. Oil rerouted.

What I don't understand with the 'BELL' they are putting in -

Why not cut the pipe very near the down-hole - and then drop
the bell over that trapping all of the oil.

It sounds as if they intend of dropping it at pipe end and
seal off any leaks. Seems prone for future problems.

Martin

Just a wild guess, of course, but maybe they still want to harvest
that oil?

First stop the leaks, then tap in and pump it up.

--

Richard Lamb