Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Existential Angst Existential Angst is offline

Default OSHA?

"William Wixon" wrote in message

"Existential Angst" wrote in message

Someone said that a carbide tooth knocked off a sawblade can travel at
the speed of a bullet.
Just calc'd this out:

On a 4600 rpm saw (my Skil), a tooth off a 7 1/4" blade will fly off at
1746 fps.
A 3450 rpm RAS with a 10" blade is going at 1806 fps.

Sheeit, you'll need goggles made out of Kevlar!!

Yeah, I think bench-grinder wire wheels are made a little better than
portable wheels.
I have 3 craftsman wire wheels on a arbor to give some width/beef, and
they just seem to last forever -- 10 years now, but with far from
constant use.

My portable wire wheels indeed wind up as nubs!! I guress the wires have
to be going somewhere, eh??

Even a lawnmower without eye protection as asking for trouble. The wife
is always picking grass/bark chips out of my eye....
--
EA

yeah, that too. two or three years ago i started wearing safety glasses
while on the riding lawnmower (up till then i thought there was no
danger). was mowing the grass, mower kicked up a hull from a hickory nut,
bounced off the tree and hit me in the eye. ouch. i thought it had
popped my eye out, didn't. i think that one had my eye all red (burst
blood vessels) for days. learned my lesson. after that i read somewhere
the most common injury from mowing the lawn is getting hit in the eye with
objects hurled from the mower.

Reminds me of when I stabbed myself in the eye with a plant, moving it for
the wife.
I was at the ophthalmologist every day at 9 am, for a week, cryin like a
baby. He says, goddamm, I just can't seem to fix you up!!
Turns out that organic scrapes can leave compounds in the eye, which just
drive you crazy.

He finally put in an "eye bandaid", which was simply a very thin clear
contact, actually imperceptible.

My effing cat came close to hooking my eyelid right offa my face!!
goodgawd....

I'm thinking walking around not in goggles, but a full-face motorcycle
helmet, with a lexan shield.
--
EA

b.w.