Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Wixon William Wixon is offline

Default OSHA?

"Existential Angst" wrote in message

Someone said that a carbide tooth knocked off a sawblade can travel at the
speed of a bullet.
Just calc'd this out:

On a 4600 rpm saw (my Skil), a tooth off a 7 1/4" blade will fly off at
1746 fps.
A 3450 rpm RAS with a 10" blade is going at 1806 fps.

Sheeit, you'll need goggles made out of Kevlar!!

Yeah, I think bench-grinder wire wheels are made a little better than
portable wheels.
I have 3 craftsman wire wheels on a arbor to give some width/beef, and
they just seem to last forever -- 10 years now, but with far from constant
use.

My portable wire wheels indeed wind up as nubs!! I guress the wires have
to be going somewhere, eh??

Even a lawnmower without eye protection as asking for trouble. The wife
is always picking grass/bark chips out of my eye....
--
EA

yeah, that too. two or three years ago i started wearing safety glasses
while on the riding lawnmower (up till then i thought there was no danger).
was mowing the grass, mower kicked up a hull from a hickory nut, bounced off
the tree and hit me in the eye. ouch. i thought it had popped my eye out,
didn't. i think that one had my eye all red (burst blood vessels) for days.
learned my lesson. after that i read somewhere the most common injury from
mowing the lawn is getting hit in the eye with objects hurled from the
mower.

b.w.