Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default flip primers

On May 5, 4:52*pm, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:
I got a small problem. I put nice new primers, powder, and bullets in all my
brass a couple months ago. Now all the primers are dented and the bullets
and powder are missing G

The most tedious job was loading primer tubes. I dumped primers on a cookie
sheet and picked up the ones pointing up, then tapped the sheet and
repeated. Takes a lot of taps to get them all. Is there a better way?

Also, a .223 followed "the Kid" home from the gun show. So I'm looking for
.223 brass. Don't want a repeat of all the work on the surplus military .308
brass. Where would you buy .223 brass?

Karl

Just about every reloading equipment manufacturer sells a primer
flipper, either as a stand-alone component or as part of a tray for
their priming system. Have ribs on the bottom, just dumping a box and
shaking orients them anvils up.

You might want to reconsider your priming system. Tubes full of
primers are extremely hazardous. The RCBS tool I use has a tray that
feeds them from the side, with a built-in flipping system. Guys have
been killed dropping tubes of primers or having one go off and
detonating the stack.

As far as brass is concerned, military stuff is out there, for a
premium. You can buy current commercial stuff for less for new. I
get mine from Sportsman's Warehouse, Bass Pro and occasionally, at a
gun show. I personally don't care for military stuff, you have to
take care of the primer pocket crimp, it's usually been fired in a SAW
and is stretched and it's got less room. Some of it is softer than
commercial stuff, too. Meant to be fired once and scrapped. You
might be having a local shortage caused by hoarding, just about every
one has brass now around here, again. Can get Remington, Winchester
and pre-prepped Hornady, here. Check with Midway and Natchez, if you
have to order it.

Stan