Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_5_] Wes[_5_] is offline

Default floating tool holder - can we actually talk about metal working

"Bill Noble" wrote:

I use a chucking reamer to make accurate holes after drilling them on my
lathe (these are adapters of various kinds) - I center drill, then drill,
then put the reamer into the drill chuck to ream. But there is a problem -
drill chucks, even on the best of days are not high precision - the spec is
.015 runout measured 2 inches from the chuck at 1/2 max diameter (from the
Jacob's site) - so with a chucking reamer that is 6 to 8 inches long, that
.015 becomes a much more significant number. The answer is, of course some
kind of floating holder - and I can get ones in various configurations - so
the question is, what makes sense? Glenco makes nice units with a MT3
(male and female) so one can put them in series with the chuck, there is
quite a range of other units

That 0.015", is that TIR?

I tried Albrechs site and didn't find any usable info on accuracy.

ER series collets? They don't look symetrical as far as tapers on each end.

Jacobs made Rubberflex collets that had a large range.

Wes