Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Garrett Fulton[_2_] Garrett Fulton[_2_] is offline

Default floating tool holder - can we actually talk about metal working

wrote in message
On May 5, 4:45 am, "Garrett Fulton" wrote:
wrote in message

On May 3, 11:38 pm, "Bill Noble" wrote:

while the 99% scream about politics, can the three remaining people who
remember anything about metal and working chime in here?

I use a chucking reamer to make accurate holes after drilling them on my
lathe (these are adapters of various kinds) - I center drill, then
drill,
then put the reamer into the drill chuck to ream. But there is a
problem -
drill chucks, even on the best of days are not high precision - the spec
is
.015 runout measured 2 inches from the chuck at 1/2 max diameter (from
the
Jacob's site) - so with a chucking reamer that is 6 to 8 inches long,
that
.015 becomes a much more significant number. The answer is, of course
some
kind of floating holder - and I can get ones in various configurations -
so
the question is, what makes sense? Glenco makes nice units with a MT3
(male and female) so one can put them in series with the chuck, there is
quite a range of other units

thoughts, about this subject please (no politics - let's see if it's
possible)

--
Bill -www.wbnoble.com

There are floating reamer holders, gunsmiths use them all the time
with chambering reamers. I assume they're a standard item in the
supplier catalogs. Here are a couple, don't look too complicated to
make:http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#rea..._1-2-4_8-16-32

Stan

Rank amateur machinist that I am, I have to ask this dumb question. The
reamer used in this gunsmith floating holder would have to be prevented
from
turning once engaged in the hole, right? With a tap wrench, etc.?

Garrett Fulton- Hide quoted text -

Chamber reamers have a square on the end, so fall into the hand or
manual category. If you look at the Bald Eagle brand reamer holder in
the link, you'll see a bar clearly screwed into the shank holder
portion. So, the answer to your question is that, yes, there has to
be a way to keep the reamer from rotating. Sans specialty reamer
holder, guys have used a center in the tailstock and a clamp-on tap
wrench, AKA "dogbone". If everything isn't lined up right, you end up
with an off-center chamber or at least an over-sized one.

Stan

Thanks, Stan. That clears it up.

Garrett