Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Frnak McKenney Frnak McKenney is offline

Default Repairing an abraded poly(?) trashcan

On Tue, 04 May 2010 22:28:39 -0700, Winston wrote:
On 5/3/2010 10:56 AM, Frnak McKenney wrote:

[...]

Since you're in such a good mood...grin

Do you have any suggestions for repairing an old-ish city-provided
"supercan"?

I would use my phone to repair that, Frank.

ROFL!

But thanks for the suggestion. Sometimes it's hard to remember which
size wrench is required to pound in the screw at hand. grin!

The garbage Co. that handles my area is very pro-active
and regularly repairs cans without any hassle at all.

If Richmond DPU doesn't return your call in a timely fashion,
you can consider hacking the can. (I have, but this is your nickle.)

If it looks like $50, I'm lazy enough to hand it off to the DPU; if it's
only $10 and some time, that's a minor Educational Expense. While I was
able to disprove polyethylene's claim to being "unbreakable" soon after
I first encountered it, I've never successfully repaired it.

As Lloyd says, there is apparently some hope of repair by welding
a thermoplastic patch. I've never done anything like that and
am *very* interested in your results.

As Larry says, try the easy cheap way first.

I bet there are 4 things on your 'to do' list that are more
entertaining than fixing the city's trash can, if'n you
don't have to, yes?

Well, there _is_ the project to rewire a set of solar-charged wlakway
"floodlamps" so they're motion-triggered, and a huge list of items that
are _much_ less interesting. But any repairs I do won't be for the City's
benefit, even if they gain a little by them.

Frank
--
A common hesitation in our day touching the use of extreme
convictions is a sort of notion that extreme convictions,