Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default floating tool holder - can we actually talk about metal working

On 2010-05-04, Bill Noble wrote:
while the 99% scream about politics, can the three remaining people who
remember anything about metal and working chime in here?

I use a chucking reamer to make accurate holes after drilling them on my
lathe (these are adapters of various kinds) - I center drill, then drill,
then put the reamer into the drill chuck to ream. But there is a problem -
drill chucks, even on the best of days are not high precision - the spec is
.015 runout measured 2 inches from the chuck at 1/2 max diameter (from the
Jacob's site) - so with a chucking reamer that is 6 to 8 inches long, that
.015 becomes a much more significant number. The answer is, of course some
kind of floating holder - and I can get ones in various configurations - so
the question is, what makes sense? Glenco makes nice units with a MT3
(male and female) so one can put them in series with the chuck, there is
quite a range of other units

Hmm ... you need the floating holder to be able to self center
as the reamer contacts the workpiece. For this, you would want the mass
which has to move to be minimal -- thus no chuck involved.

The ones which I have are made with 1" cylindrical shanks, to be
used in the bed turret for my lathe. Six stations, each with its own
simple tool, complex tool, or combination tool.

If I were drilling and reaming lots of parts, I would set the a
depth stop in the first station, a center drill in the second station,
the pre-ream drill bit in the third station, and the forth station would
have the reamer in a floating holder, and on the first workpiece I would
tease it into the hole while the lock-downs were loose, tap it a bit as
I worked my may about half-way down the reamer or so, then lock down the
floating holder so it would start and remain on center every time that
station came up.

Of course, my floating reamer holders are not the same as
others. They will move a bit sideways in all directions until I lock up
the clamping bolts.

Here is one on eBay which looks interesting, and which might do
what you need:

200466895813

It is rather different from the ones which I have (which came with my
lathe and bed turret -- two of those, three Jacobs drill chucks, and no
other tools. I spent a while picking up turret tooling from eBay and
learning what each did for me.

thoughts, about this subject please (no politics - let's see if it's
possible)

It is for me.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564