Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
T.Alan Kraus T.Alan Kraus is offline

Default floating tool holder - can we actually talk about metal working

On 5/3/2010 10:38 PM, Bill Noble wrote:
while the 99% scream about politics, can the three remaining people who
remember anything about metal and working chime in here?

I use a chucking reamer to make accurate holes after drilling them on my
lathe (these are adapters of various kinds) - I center drill, then
drill, then put the reamer into the drill chuck to ream. But there is a
problem - drill chucks, even on the best of days are not high precision
- the spec is .015 runout measured 2 inches from the chuck at 1/2 max
diameter (from the Jacob's site) - so with a chucking reamer that is 6
to 8 inches long, that .015 becomes a much more significant number. The
answer is, of course some kind of floating holder - and I can get ones
in various configurations - so the question is, what makes sense? Glenco
makes nice units with a MT3 (male and female) so one can put them in
series with the chuck, there is quite a range of other units

thoughts, about this subject please (no politics - let's see if it's
possible)

I use ER40 collets with in a ER40 collet holder adapted to a #3 morse
taper with shank. Which is also real nice to hold assorted mills to
cutting un-tapered holes.

cheers
T.Alan