Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Questions about underwater oil drilling..

The pictures Gunner provided showed the bent pipe and issues -
and where the platform landed - away from the hole.

The BOP looked free and clear. I'm not sure about the stem. Two leaks
are coming from it as it lies on the bottom.

I'd think and consider it a logical idea - that a portable BOP - one that
clamps around and bolts on - could be put on the pipe as it is.

I don't know if there is such a thing since it would be almost only
use in times like this with pipes askew or normal with a blowout in
progress. Robots would have to install it due to the danger.

Martin

Steve B wrote:
"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
What is worse on all of this - the rig burned and sank after
dumping the loose contents off decks.
We can only hope that the contents and rig slid off to the side and
didn't slice pipelines and brake well heads / trees. There might have
been several Trees under there and this was the next well.

Facts will eek out. I think I know the BP manager in charge
(contractor).
I sure don't want to call him. Another friend runs robots to put on trees
and repair bottom stuff.

Martin

From what I read, it was one solitary well. Do not quote me.

For a 23,000 foot drill string, there would have been a lot of drill pipe,
collars, stabilizers, tools, jars, etc etc etc on deck. Most of the other
stuff would have made a slower descent.

Steve