Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar nightjar is offline

Default modern condensing boiler vs. dacades old standard boiler,

AL_z wrote:
My last c/h boiler was a combi, and it broke down about once a year, on
average. Conversely, my parents had an old regular-type boiler (i.e., not a
combi) which never needed any maintenance in about 30 years. I now want to
install a c/h system in my new house. So, regarding my choice of boiler:
Considering the cost of purchasing, plus the cost of maintenance balanced
out against the difference in thermal efficiency, might I be doing myself a
favour by installing a cheap, old, reliable, standard boiler, say from a
demolition yard, rather than forking out for a modern condensing combi?

Reliability is more about make than type, although a system
(regular-type) boiler is less complex than a combination boiler. The
other advantage of a system boiler is that the hot water is stored in a
tank, which can have a backup immersion heater and that gives you belts
and braces cover. Both types are available as modern condensing boilers.

My personal preference is for a Vaillant system boiler and mains
pressure hot water tank, both of which are sitting in my side porch
awaiting installation.

Colin Bignell