Posted to rec.woodworking
DGDevin DGDevin is offline

Default "Drill Baby Drill"

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

Wait until the price of gas starts to climb again.

Some (the environmentalists) would say that IS the bright spot. Different
strokes... and all that.

I know people who believe higher gasoline prices are a good thing as they
motivate folks to get rid of their gas-guzzling vehicles and buy something
more efficient. There is something to that argument--if heating and cooling
our houses was free, who would put in more insulation?

Politics aside, higher gas prices are only a matter of time. As China and
India demand more gas and as remaining untapped reserves are located in more
and more difficult places to reach, the inevitable result will be higher
prices.

My folks lived through the Great Depression, and I inherited the attitude
that you scrape the peanut butter jar clean, not because you can't afford
another one but just because waste is a bad idea. So when I see a lone
driver using an Escalade or Suburban to go pick up a carton of milk it makes
me shake my head. And then there is the issue of why every year we send
umpteen gazillion dollars to countries with governments that don't like us
too much. Why are we paying oil money to Hugo Chavez to buy Russki fighter
jets, or for the Saudis to fund fundamentalist jihadi preachers? Surely
burning a dirty, increasingly expensive fuel that enriches hostile regimes
is not a smart long-term policy, is it?