Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default O/T: "Drill Baby Drill"

On 5/3/2010 3:14 PM, Chris Friesen wrote:
On 05/03/2010 12:39 PM, Morris Dovey wrote:
On 5/3/2010 12:55 PM, Chris Friesen wrote:

Unless the blowout preventer itself was blown up by a bomb, it should
have been designed to fail safe.

"When a failsafe system fails, it fails by failing to fail safe."

True enough...but I still think it should have been able to handle the
loss of the rig above.

What makes you think it wasn't designed to do so? The point you seem to
be missing is that the blowout preventer did not work the way it was
supposed to work, and while one can speculate forever about the reason,
we won't _know_ the reason until they get the well closed off and
recover the non-functional preventer.