Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michael Koblic[_2_] Michael Koblic[_2_] is offline

Default HF Mini Lathe - Ready To Step up Already

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
I've got an HF 7 x 10 mini lathe and its actually done ok. Quite often it
exceeds the workability of the materials, but I found it to be just a tad
under powered yesterday when I was roughing an injector nozzle out of
aluminum. It could also stand a more rigid tool post / cross slide
assembly. I don't plan to get rid of it as its very handy for some small
work. In fact I plan to get the 14" bed for it from The Little Machine
Shop, and if I can figure out a way to improve the rigidity of the tool
post and cross slide I will.

However, I am looking for something a little better and a little bit
bigger also. I'm not made of money and I was kinda wondering what a nice
middle range machine would be without going to one of those names that is
priced as much by name recognition as by quality.

If you are going to go with a Chinese 9x20 regardless of the name I strongly
suggest visiting the Yahoo 9x20 group. As others suggested, there is a lot
of work to be done on the machine to make it useable.

I have recently graduated from Taig to a 9x20 and have so far replaced
several parts including the dreaded compound attachment (there is a better
way than just making or buying a 4-bolt clamp - it's called a Pitkin Donut -
details on the group files). Having said that it is an OK machine for
someone like myself. I am enjoying the extra size and power. I went through
months of agonizing over the choice but in the end this is as big as I can
handle and probably need. Here are some pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2768312...7623585864057/

Hope this helps.

--
Michael Koblic,