Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default HF Mini Lathe - Ready To Step up Already

According to comments I've read over the years, the major difference between
the Jet 9x20, and the generic models from various dealers, is that the
spindle has an inch-thread, instead of metric.
Another feature may be that the motor is UL approved, but I don't know how
much that means when many domestic USA motor brands are now made in China.

The generic Asian 9x20 models are capable of cutting the metric spindle nose
thread, although the thread chart doesn't show that they can.
There is an expanded threading chart in an old Dropbox annual archive.

As far as getting the most for your money, the included accessories will
probably be the best indicator.

After one makes a few improvements, and replaces the motor with either a DC
drive or a 3 phase and VFD, the 9x20 models are a decent benchtop HSM lathe.

And I forgot to mench, the head/tailstock tapers are the same as the 7x
models.

--
WB

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
Don't overlook used Taiwan-made Jet lathes.
I have a 10x24 and I've made all sorts of
stuff on it, including internal and external
single-point threads. It's a little more
noisy and a little more flexible than I'd like,
but it has always gotten the job done.

Is Jet better than other mid price models? I notice they cost a little
more for tools the same size as some other manufacturers.