Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default HF Mini Lathe - Ready To Step up Already

The suggested 9x20" lathe may give a larger work envelope, however the
typical 9x20s from China have issues too.

The worst problem of the 9x20 (as far as effecting operational performance)
is a weak mount for the compound/top slide. With an improved mounting plate,
chatter problems are greatly reduced or eliminated. Some eBay sellers offer
CNC machined mounting plates.
Most of the other issues are fairly easily corrected by an initial tear-down
and cleanup, such as tightening or replacing cheaply-made fasteners.
Some 9x20 users have had problems with the skinny drive belt breaking, but
that wasn't a problem with the 2 models I've used.
There are numerous websites with good upgrade/improvement projects for
either model, as both the 7x and 9x20s are popular models.

I don't know where HF gets the idea that their 9x20 is a geared head
machine, but I haven't seen them. Yeah, gears are attached to the headstock,
but there doesn't appear to be any gears inside the headstock.
The earlier models were definitely not geared-head versions.. the only parts
inside the headstock are a set of tapered roller bearings and the spindle.

The major feature of the 9x20 is the quick-change gearbox for the leadscrew.
Other features/improvements over the 7x include metal change gears, larger
motor (although not variable speed), and possibly more accessories.
The accessories included from different dealers can differ quite a bit.

A much better quality lathe is most likely going to cost considerably more
than the commonly available Asian imports.

The Austrian Emco models are regarded as very good quality machines.

--
WB

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
I've got an HF 7 x 10 mini lathe and its actually done ok. Quite often it
exceeds the workability of the materials, but I found it to be just a tad
under powered yesterday when I was roughing an injector nozzle out of
aluminum. It could also stand a more rigid tool post / cross slide
assembly. I don't plan to get rid of it as its very handy for some small
work. In fact I plan to get the 14" bed for it from The Little Machine
Shop, and if I can figure out a way to improve the rigidity of the tool
post and cross slide I will.

However, I am looking for something a little better and a little bit
bigger also. I'm not made of money and I was kinda wondering what a nice
middle range machine would be without going to one of those names that is
priced as much by name recognition as by quality.