Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default HF Mini Lathe - Ready To Step up Already

Bob La Londe wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Bob La Londe wrote:

I've got an HF 7 x 10 mini lathe and its actually done ok. Quite often
it
exceeds the workability of the materials, but I found it to be just a tad
under powered yesterday when I was roughing an injector nozzle out of
aluminum. It could also stand a more rigid tool post / cross slide
assembly. I don't plan to get rid of it as its very handy for some small
work. In fact I plan to get the 14" bed for it from The Little Machine
Shop, and if I can figure out a way to improve the rigidity of the tool
post
and cross slide I will.

However, I am looking for something a little better and a little bit
bigger
also. I'm not made of money and I was kinda wondering what a nice middle
range machine would be without going to one of those names that is priced
as
much by name recognition as by quality.

The Harbor Freight 9x20 bench lathe would be the next step up at
moderate cost. Wait for a 20% coupon and a sale and get a really good
deal. It's light years ahead of the little 7x10 in terms of power and
rigidity, and reported to be a decent machine if you spend a few days on
the initial overhaul and setup.

20% Coupon
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/html...mages/20_c.jpg

This lathe?
http://www.harborfreight.com/9-inch-...the-45861.html

Yep, that lathe. The stand is sold separately. It's a big step up in
capability from the 7x14, at a fairly small step in price.