Posted to uk.d-i-y
geoff geoff is offline

Default modern condensing boiler vs. dacades old standard boiler,

In message , AL_z
writes
My last c/h boiler was a combi, and it broke down about once a year, on
average. Conversely, my parents had an old regular-type boiler (i.e., not a
combi) which never needed any maintenance in about 30 years. I now want to
install a c/h system in my new house. So, regarding my choice of boiler:
Considering the cost of purchasing, plus the cost of maintenance balanced
out against the difference in thermal efficiency, might I be doing myself a
favour by installing a cheap, old, reliable, standard boiler, say from a
demolition yard, rather than forking out for a modern condensing combi?

Well, you could, but that WOULD be against the law

with few exceptions, any boiler installed now has to have an efficiency
which eliminates installation of anything other than a condensing boiler
--
geoff