Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Having a home shop means...

On Sun, 02 May 2010 22:42:10 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

On 5/2/2010 9:54 PM, Steve B wrote:
wrote in message
Was at the hardware store looking for a wheeled plastic
trash can for yard cleanup. There was only one that
matched my size requirement. Pulled it off the shelf
and one of the wheels fell off!

The end of the axle was dinged and apparently
would not allow the 'top hat' nut to stay fixed.
Figured I could fix it, so I bought it.

Drilled and tapped the end of the axle for 1/4-20 and
parted off a piece of tubing to make a spacer. Wheel
back on with a machine screw, washer and spacer.

It works a treat and I am *much* happier than I have
a right to be!

--Winston

I have fixed more than one $1 garden cart, two wheel dolly, or wheeled
device for pennies in the shop. Some were actually a few bucks, but there
was always a profit at the next yard sale.

Yup. I don't know about others but I experience a disproportionate
'warm and fuzzy' feeling when I repair something like that.

We're the original recyclers, before all the enviros got involved.

It's the same deal in fixing flat tires

Isn't it amazing how the air just seems to know where to go, and does
so? The flat part of the tire always gets filled first.

or the odd garage door opener for neighbors.

Whoa, man. That must be a lot larger than a beer bottle opener.

If I could find a way to bottle that feeling, I would be
very wealthy indeed.

The Chinese discovered the poppy way long ago, sir.

P.S: And if you believe those lines above (other than the first, which
is actually true) I have some very moist, fertile land in Flowda to
sell to you. http://fwd4.me/MSV

--
Courage is the power to let go of the familiar.
-- Raymond Lindquist