Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Questions about underwater oil drilling..

On Sun, 2 May 2010 21:44:44 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 01 May 2010 23:50:37 -0500, F. George McDuffee
wrote:

Facts will eek out. I think I know the BP manager in charge
(contractor).
I sure don't want to call him. Another friend runs robots to put on
trees
and repair bottom stuff.

===========
The problem is that *NO ONE* is coming clean on what
happened. For example, was a BOP [blow out preventer] even
installed?
http://www.andrewhalcro.com/exclusiv..._out_protector

There were supposed to be other "fail safe" shut-offs, but
it is apparent these did not function either. A robotic sub
reportedly attempted to activate one of the secondary
shut-offs with no success. Is it possible that they were
unable to locate because there are none, or were "quakers"
or "dummies" installed to save money.

Ive worked in and around the oil fields for many years, and frankly I
cannot imagine in my worst moments, any oil company NOT using a BOP in
any drilling operation of this sort. Frankly..they are far far too
critical for even minor "kicks" and all manner of other uses while
drilling a well.

It would be like having a motor vehicle without a reverse gear.

Gunner

How would one run a BOP so far down when a BOP must be hooked to hydraulic
lines at all times in order to function? I am not familiar with the deep
water drilling techniques.

Steve

They are set on wellhead or on top of the casing.

Hydraulic lines can be quite long.

Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate