Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee F. George McDuffee is offline

Default Questions about underwater oil drilling..

On Sat, 01 May 2010 22:11:12 -0500, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

What is worse on all of this - the rig burned and sank after
dumping the loose contents off decks.
We can only hope that the contents and rig slid off to the side and
didn't slice pipelines and brake well heads / trees. There might have
been several Trees under there and this was the next well.

Facts will eek out. I think I know the BP manager in charge (contractor).
I sure don't want to call him. Another friend runs robots to put on trees
and repair bottom stuff.

===========
The problem is that *NO ONE* is coming clean on what
happened. For example, was a BOP [blow out preventer] even
installed?
http://www.andrewhalcro.com/exclusiv..._out_protector

There were supposed to be other "fail safe" shut-offs, but
it is apparent these did not function either. A robotic sub
reportedly attempted to activate one of the secondary
shut-offs with no success. Is it possible that they were
unable to locate because there are none, or were "quakers"
or "dummies" installed to save money.

I have even seen claims on the internet this explosion was
caused by environmentalist saboteurs.
http://www.godlikeproductions.com/fo...age1052802/pg1

for some additional info see
http://www.upstreamonline.com/live/article213497.ece
http://drillingclub.proboards.com/in...&thread= 4471

-- Unka George (George McDuffee)
The past is a foreign country;
they do things differently there.
L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author.
The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).