Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default clamp crossing tubing

This application could be met with a little metalworking on the OP's part. I
haven't seen a hardware product like I'm suggesting, but maybe it already
exists.

With 2 tubes intersecting at right angles, and the vertical tube in the
foreground, place a long U-bolt around the vertical tube, on top of the
horizontal member, ends pointing backward.

Now if those ends were to be bent (down) around the horizontal member, in a
vise or simple fixture beforehand, they would then be pointing forward.
Add a simple strap across the front of vertical member, and 2 nuts.

The (double) U-bolt is shaped in a U in both planes, consisting of 3 U-bends
(the original bend, plus two that are formed simultaneously during the
bending).
The double-U-bolt will fit right-angle crossings in any orientation.

This should result in a fairly secure attachment, not strong enough to climb
on, but a slight crush at the crossing would make the connection stable.

The simple strap could be substituted with an exaust/muffler-type to create
a more secure, heavy-duty grip at the crossing.

You may name this part the W-bolt, or W-bolt Clamp.

--
WB

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
I have sixty spots where I need to clamp a horizontal 7/8 conduit to a
vertical 7/8 conduit. Looking for a part to do this with no joy.

So far my best solution is to get two hole conduit wall clamps:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#9439t43/=6vbf6c
And then make a 3"x3" metal plate. Bolt one tube to the plate with a
clamp, then bolt the other tube with another clamp.

I'm looking for an easier way that don't need four bolts , two clamps, and
a plate at each joint.

Karl