Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default clamp crossing tubing

I have sixty spots where I need to clamp a horizontal 7/8 conduit to a
vertical 7/8 conduit. Looking for a part to do this with no joy.

So far my best solution is to get two hole conduit wall clamps:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#9439t43/=6vbf6c
And then make a 3"x3" metal plate. Bolt one tube to the plate with a clamp,
then bolt the other tube with another clamp.

I'm looking for an easier way that don't need four bolts , two clamps, and a
plate at each joint.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

How rigid does it have to be? How about a couple wraps of
electrical tape, or nylon tie straps?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Karl Townsend" wrote in
message
anews.com...
I have sixty spots where I need to clamp a horizontal 7/8
conduit to a
vertical 7/8 conduit. Looking for a part to do this with no
joy.

So far my best solution is to get two hole conduit wall
clamps:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#9439t43/=6vbf6c
And then make a 3"x3" metal plate. Bolt one tube to the
plate with a clamp,
then bolt the other tube with another clamp.

I'm looking for an easier way that don't need four bolts ,
two clamps, and a
plate at each joint.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 29, 7:32*am, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:
I have sixty spots where I need to clamp a horizontal 7/8 conduit to a
vertical 7/8 conduit. Looking for a part to do this with no joy.

So far my best solution is to get two hole conduit wall clamps:http://www..mcmaster.com/#9439t43/=6vbf6c
And then make a 3"x3" metal plate. Bolt one tube to the plate with a clamp,
then bolt the other tube with another clamp.

I'm looking for an easier way that don't need four bolts , two clamps, and a
plate at each joint.

Karl

I usually see two of these bolted together, 2 clamps-1bolt

http://www.erico.com/products/CADDYc...ampswBolts.asp
http://www.gibsonstainless.com/stainless_straps.htm

and a back-to-back push-in style
http://www.erico.com/products/CADDYc...ttoConduit.asp

but it's not very low profile.

It may be hard to find the perfect clamp if the method is not code for
an electrical application.

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 06:32:11 -0500, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

I have sixty spots where I need to clamp a horizontal 7/8 conduit to a
vertical 7/8 conduit. Looking for a part to do this with no joy.

So far my best solution is to get two hole conduit wall clamps:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#9439t43/=6vbf6c
And then make a 3"x3" metal plate. Bolt one tube to the plate with a clamp,
then bolt the other tube with another clamp.

I'm looking for an easier way that don't need four bolts , two clamps, and a
plate at each joint.

Karl

I think you're looking for a Korns edge clamp.

http://www.ecnkorns.com/PDF/F-170.pdf

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have sixty spots where I need to clamp a horizontal 7/8 conduit to a
vertical 7/8 conduit. Looking for a part to do this with no joy.

Theatrical supplies sell a wide variety of pipe clamping devices for
lighting work. Cross-clamps are common; both 90 and 45 angles.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

I have sixty spots where I need to clamp a horizontal 7/8 conduit to a
vertical 7/8 conduit. Looking for a part to do this with no joy.

So far my best solution is to get two hole conduit wall clamps:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#9439t43/=6vbf6c
And then make a 3"x3" metal plate. Bolt one tube to the plate with a clamp,
then bolt the other tube with another clamp.

I'm looking for an easier way that don't need four bolts , two clamps, and a
plate at each joint.

Karl

CADDY makes clamps for crossing conduits, you should be able to get them
from any electrical supply house, possibly even Depot / Lowe's. You will
also have better luck finding stuff if you refer to the conduit by the
correct 3/4" designation, not by the actual OD.

One possibility:

http://www.erico.com/products/CADDYc...ghtTrapeze.asp

I've seen this style in a pre-rivited pair as well:

http://www.erico.com/products/CADDYc...ampswBolts.asp
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have sixty spots where I need to clamp a horizontal 7/8 conduit to a
vertical 7/8 conduit. Looking for a part to do this with no joy.

So far my best solution is to get two hole conduit wall clamps:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#9439t43/=6vbf6c
And then make a 3"x3" metal plate. Bolt one tube to the plate with a clamp,
then bolt the other tube with another clamp.

I'm looking for an easier way that don't need four bolts , two clamps, and a
plate at each joint.

Karl

Sounds like 3/4" electrical metalic tubing (EMT)

Take a look at Caddy Clips

http://www.erico.com/products/CADDYc...ttoConduit.asp

HTH
rgentry at oz dot net
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have sixty spots where I need to clamp a horizontal 7/8 conduit to a
vertical 7/8 conduit. Looking for a part to do this with no joy.

So far my best solution is to get two hole conduit wall clamps:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#9439t43/=6vbf6c
And then make a 3"x3" metal plate. Bolt one tube to the plate with a clamp,
then bolt the other tube with another clamp.

I'm looking for an easier way that don't need four bolts , two clamps, and a
plate at each joint.

Karl

I think you're looking for a Korns edge clamp.

http://www.ecnkorns.com/PDF/F-170.pdf

Pete Keillor

$5 each????????

bit..pricey...no?

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 29, 6:32*am, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:
I have sixty spots where I need to clamp a horizontal 7/8 conduit to a
vertical 7/8 conduit. Looking for a part to do this with no joy.

So far my best solution is to get two hole conduit wall clamps:http://www..mcmaster.com/#9439t43/=6vbf6c
And then make a 3"x3" metal plate. Bolt one tube to the plate with a clamp,
then bolt the other tube with another clamp.

I'm looking for an easier way that don't need four bolts , two clamps, and a
plate at each joint.

Karl

Maybe this'll work:
http://www.ysbw.com/Canopy-Fitting-3-4-Cross-p/2030.htm
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

This application could be met with a little metalworking on the OP's part. I
haven't seen a hardware product like I'm suggesting, but maybe it already
exists.

With 2 tubes intersecting at right angles, and the vertical tube in the
foreground, place a long U-bolt around the vertical tube, on top of the
horizontal member, ends pointing backward.

Now if those ends were to be bent (down) around the horizontal member, in a
vise or simple fixture beforehand, they would then be pointing forward.
Add a simple strap across the front of vertical member, and 2 nuts.

The (double) U-bolt is shaped in a U in both planes, consisting of 3 U-bends
(the original bend, plus two that are formed simultaneously during the
bending).
The double-U-bolt will fit right-angle crossings in any orientation.

This should result in a fairly secure attachment, not strong enough to climb
on, but a slight crush at the crossing would make the connection stable.

The simple strap could be substituted with an exaust/muffler-type to create
a more secure, heavy-duty grip at the crossing.

You may name this part the W-bolt, or W-bolt Clamp.

--
WB

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
I have sixty spots where I need to clamp a horizontal 7/8 conduit to a
vertical 7/8 conduit. Looking for a part to do this with no joy.

So far my best solution is to get two hole conduit wall clamps:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#9439t43/=6vbf6c
And then make a 3"x3" metal plate. Bolt one tube to the plate with a
clamp, then bolt the other tube with another clamp.

I'm looking for an easier way that don't need four bolts , two clamps, and
a plate at each joint.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have sixty spots where I need to clamp a horizontal 7/8 conduit to a
vertical 7/8 conduit. Looking for a part to do this with no joy.

So far my best solution is to get two hole conduit wall clamps:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#9439t43/=6vbf6c
And then make a 3"x3" metal plate. Bolt one tube to the plate with a clamp,
then bolt the other tube with another clamp.

I'm looking for an easier way that don't need four bolts , two clamps, and a
plate at each joint.

Karl

I think you're looking for a Korns edge clamp.

http://www.ecnkorns.com/PDF/F-170.pdf

Pete Keillor

$5 each????????

bit..pricey...no?

Gunner

I guess that'd be up to Karl. Used might be an option as well. I
just remember using them in pilot plant work.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 1, 1:46*am, "Wild_Bill" wrote:

[about clamping EMT at right angles]
With 2 tubes intersecting at right angles, and the vertical tube in the
foreground, place a long U-bolt around the vertical tube, on top of the
horizontal member, ends pointing backward.

Now if those ends were to be bent (down) around the horizontal member, in a
vise or simple fixture beforehand, they would then be pointing forward.
Add a simple strap across the front of vertical member, and 2 nuts.

This makes a stitching-on-the-baseball shaped clamp; you can make
the same contour with a plastic tie-wrap, if that's rugged enough.

Most lashups I've participated in have bolted unistrut to the wall
and connected the tubing to THAT instead of to other tubing.

Speaking of lashups, a bit of twine and BoyScout quality lashing can
do this kind of thing, too...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Yep, unistrut makes a neat installation. I haven't see the fiberglass type,
that's likely to be expensive stuff.

The light duty conduit clamps (two formed sheetmetal pieces secured with a
screw perpendicular to the conduit) for unistrut are kinda wimpy, and they
will move if pressured.

The spring nut (heavy duty flat nut plate that's placed inside unistrut to
bolt to), is a much more secure method, but then another piece of hardware
(or 2 or 3) is needed to hold the conduit securely in place, if the
application is something different than placing conduit for wiring runs.

--
WB

"whit3rd" wrote in message
On May 1, 1:46 am, "Wild_Bill" wrote:

[about clamping EMT at right angles]

This makes a stitching-on-the-baseball shaped clamp; you can make
the same contour with a plastic tie-wrap, if that's rugged enough.

Most lashups I've participated in have bolted unistrut to the wall
and connected the tubing to THAT instead of to other tubing.

Speaking of lashups, a bit of twine and BoyScout quality lashing can
do this kind of thing, too...

DIY Pedestrian Crossing Andrew Gabriel UK diy 40 December 31st 08 10:46 PM
crossing mains cables at right angles Staffbull UK diy 1 September 22nd 06 11:07 PM
Supply 5,8,10 Pair Clamp Module,Orbit Clamp Module,LSA Profile-Anschlussleiste [email protected] Woodworking 0 October 28th 05 03:26 AM
RAILROAD CROSSING J T Woodworking 2 August 7th 05 10:34 PM
Footings crossing boundary Rockydell UK diy 28 February 24th 04 07:19 AM