Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default Oiler - Oil Can

On Apr 30, 9:16*am, "Bob La Londe" wrote:
Ok... *I have tried a number of different off the shelf plastic spray
bottles. *They all seem to fail in fairly short order. *Some will work again
if you (yuck!) suck on the nozzle for a second. *Its like they lose their
prime and won't self prime again.

I have noticed that the pumps in the commercial products (rather than the
bottles bought as generics) seem to hold up better. *I've got an old
Meguiers clean and shine product bottle that has had a dozen refills of misc
gunk through it and it still works ok. *Currently its filled with vinegar
and water for removing hard water and river gunk from my boat when I bring
it back from the river.

The thing is I would like to be able to find a source for spray / squirt
bottles with pumps that will hold up. *I need to spray various things from
oil to WD to cleaner and none of the pumps seem to last. *I bought a gallon
of WD and a bottle with their label on it about a month ago, and already the
pump is experiencing lost prime and won't pump back up without a little
help. *If I set it down for half an hour and pick it back up it will have
lost its prime.

Gack.

There's a wide variation in what's in the innards of those things(the
cheaper, the better, from the OEM standpoint), usually the check ball/
spring combination and the plunger seal are all selected to be inert
to the product they're pumping(but not always). Anything with acid in
it I would suspect would eat the check ball spring if it was intended
for petroleum products only and anything intended for water-base
products I would suspect wouldn't last very long pumping petroleum-
based stuff. I use the bottles that the stuff came in for refills
from gallons. Your WD40 sprayer, I presume, was a fine chink product
intended for something else but relabeled. For that sort of stuff I
have metal sprayers that can be pressurized with shop air or even a
bicycle pump.

Stan