Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Oiler - Oil Can

Ok... I have tried a number of different off the shelf plastic spray
bottles. They all seem to fail in fairly short order. Some will work again
if you (yuck!) suck on the nozzle for a second. Its like they lose their
prime and won't self prime again.

I have noticed that the pumps in the commercial products (rather than the
bottles bought as generics) seem to hold up better. I've got an old
Meguiers clean and shine product bottle that has had a dozen refills of misc
gunk through it and it still works ok. Currently its filled with vinegar
and water for removing hard water and river gunk from my boat when I bring
it back from the river.

The thing is I would like to be able to find a source for spray / squirt
bottles with pumps that will hold up. I need to spray various things from
oil to WD to cleaner and none of the pumps seem to last. I bought a gallon
of WD and a bottle with their label on it about a month ago, and already the
pump is experiencing lost prime and won't pump back up without a little
help. If I set it down for half an hour and pick it back up it will have
lost its prime.

Gack.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
[...]

I have a bunch of the ones that Home Depot sells, under their own brand. I
don't use them with oil but I have used them with commercial detergents that
destroy any recycled bottle in about a week, and I've used them with bleach.
(I don't leave the bleach standing in them, however). After about three
years, I haven't had one fail yet.

Good ones are out there. Aside from that experience, I don't know where else
I would look, but you probably can find ratings for the ones that are
commercially available.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

[...]

The only other thing I thought of is to buy some cheap pneumatic paint
sprayers and modify the nozzles as needed. If I need portable use an air
storage tank. I'ld need a regulator on it too of course.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 30, 9:16*am, "Bob La Londe" wrote:
[...]

There's a wide variation in what's in the innards of those things(the
cheaper, the better, from the OEM standpoint), usually the check ball/
spring combination and the plunger seal are all selected to be inert
to the product they're pumping(but not always). Anything with acid in
it I would suspect would eat the check ball spring if it was intended
for petroleum products only and anything intended for water-base
products I would suspect wouldn't last very long pumping petroleum-
based stuff. I use the bottles that the stuff came in for refills
from gallons. Your WD40 sprayer, I presume, was a fine chink product
intended for something else but relabeled. For that sort of stuff I
have metal sprayers that can be pressurized with shop air or even a
bicycle pump.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-04-30, Ed Huntress wrote:
don't use them with oil but I have used them with commercial detergents that
destroy any recycled bottle in about a week, and I've used them with bleach.
(I don't leave the bleach standing in them, however). After about three
years, I haven't had one fail yet.

They fail on me quickly. The ones from McMaster Carr seem to hold up
better.

Good ones are out there. Aside from that experience, I don't know
where else I would look, but you probably can find ratings for the
ones that are commercially available.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
[...]

Hmmm.... after reading your post I did a quick search. They can be quite
expensive can't they. ($30 -$100) I wonder for some media if it might not
be frugal to take a cheap paint sprayer and add a schrader valve in place of
an air fitting. Should hold up to paint, oil, and water based chemical.
Might not hold up to corrosives, or some caustic cleaners, but for most
other things it should be fine.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-04-30, Ed Huntress wrote:
don't use them with oil but I have used them with commercial detergents
that
destroy any recycled bottle in about a week, and I've used them with
bleach.
(I don't leave the bleach standing in them, however). After about three
years, I haven't had one fail yet.

They fail on me quickly. The ones from McMaster Carr seem to hold up
better.

What do you put in them? I've sprayed a 30% lye solution, which is getting
viscous and is hard to spray. At 40%, it's getting thick.

I've also left industrial detergent in them for over a year with no problem.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 30, 11:16*am, "Bob La Londe" wrote:
[...]

I've got a WD-40 sprayer that cam with a gallon tin of the stuff that
has been working for probably 15 years.
(Holy crap, I've had that thing 15 years?)

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In the 1980s, maybe 86 or so. I ordered a gal of WD with the
sprayer. Picture in the catalog (company since has been
renamed) was obviously a metal sprayer, with trigger spray.
The one that arrived was plastic. I was very disappointed.

Sometimes you can reprime them:
1) Squeeze trigger
2) Put finger snugly over the sprayer hold
3) Release trigger (you can feel the liquid being
pulled....)
4) finger off sprayer, and try the spray trigger again

Sometimes you can restart balky fire department Indian tanks
that way, too. BTDT. With Indian tanks, you thumb over the
nozzle, pull the slide, and then release. Push the slide,
see if you got any water.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Dave__67" wrote in message

I've got a WD-40 sprayer that cam with a gallon tin of the
stuff that
has been working for probably 15 years.
(Holy crap, I've had that thing 15 years?)

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Empty 20 oz. coke bottle, drill eight inch hole in lid, done.

basilsik

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"basilisk" wrote in message news:CaGCn.235625\

Empty 20 oz. coke bottle, drill eight inch hole in lid, done.

Now that would be a neat trick.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 08:48:31 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

http://www.amazon.com/AES-Industries.../dp/B002D3WXMU

Harbor Freight used to sell these for about $10

Ive got a number of them that I use regularly for everything from WD40
to Acetone, to spray paint

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Those "sure shot" atomizers are a bit expensive but might work.

http://www.sureshotsprayer.com/

DOC

Something about beer...
http://bogusbeer.appspot.com/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 08:16:23 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

[...]

This is the best sprayer that I've found so far. It holds up better
with most things. I've had vinegar and peroxide solution in one for
more than 2 years before it started giving me trouble. Most sprayers
would last about a month with that in it. McMaster has them as well as
lot of other places.

http://www.deltasprayers.com/product...av=9&PrdNav=16
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

That actually reads pretty good and they are honest about their
sprayers.

How much are they and where can we buy less than 30 to the case?

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 01 May 2010 11:37:39 -0500, the infamous Wayne Cook
scrawled the following:

wrote:

[...]

Cool, only about $6 a pop. I go through sprayers quickly with
chlorine/water in the kitchen, so one of these would pay for itself
within a year.

--
Courage is the power to let go of the familiar.
-- Raymond Lindquist
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

IIRC, I paid 4.95 for one in Feb.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gerald Miller wrote:

IIRC, I paid 4.95 for one in Feb.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=1102&CategoryName=&SubCatego ryName=

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.