Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Oiler - Oil Can

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
Ok... I have tried a number of different off the shelf plastic spray
bottles. They all seem to fail in fairly short order. Some will work
again if you (yuck!) suck on the nozzle for a second. Its like they lose
their prime and won't self prime again.

I have noticed that the pumps in the commercial products (rather than the
bottles bought as generics) seem to hold up better. I've got an old
Meguiers clean and shine product bottle that has had a dozen refills of
misc gunk through it and it still works ok. Currently its filled with
vinegar and water for removing hard water and river gunk from my boat when
I bring it back from the river.

The thing is I would like to be able to find a source for spray / squirt
bottles with pumps that will hold up. I need to spray various things from
oil to WD to cleaner and none of the pumps seem to last. I bought a
gallon of WD and a bottle with their label on it about a month ago, and
already the pump is experiencing lost prime and won't pump back up without
a little help. If I set it down for half an hour and pick it back up it
will have lost its prime.

Gack.

I have a bunch of the ones that Home Depot sells, under their own brand. I
don't use them with oil but I have used them with commercial detergents that
destroy any recycled bottle in about a week, and I've used them with bleach.
(I don't leave the bleach standing in them, however). After about three
years, I haven't had one fail yet.

Good ones are out there. Aside from that experience, I don't know where else
I would look, but you probably can find ratings for the ones that are
commercially available.

--
Ed Huntress