Posted to uk.d-i-y
pcb1962[_2_] pcb1962[_2_] is offline

Default Insulating an integral garage ceiling

On 2010-04-29, David J wrote:

I haven't seen this problem addressed here before, but it must have
been....?

I have a 1997 built detached house with an integral garage and a small
bedroom located over the garage. Last year the entire house outer wall
cavities were filled with glass fibre insulation (via holes) but this
has still left me with an unheated garage and two uninsulated surfaces
of the house: the garage ceiling and the adjacent house wall. I have a
plan for the wall and I'm now thinking of a solution to the ceiling
problem.

I'm sure that there is no insulation between the floorboards and the
garage ceiling, but I do wonder what the building regs say about
living quarters over a garage that also is the home to the gas-fired
c/h boiler? *A fire-proof barrier?

My idea for the ceiling problem is to fabricate a crude false ceiling
about 200mm beneath the existing one, using MDF 2400 x 1200 x 9mm
panels as the surface. These to be supported by about five 38 x 63mm
studwork timbers attached to the garage walls using joist hangers.

I would then stuff the void with 100mm loft insulation, working as I
progress along installing the MDF panels.

Can anyone see any problems here?

Yes. Integral garage ceilings have to be constructed of non-inflammable
materials. Two layers of 12mm plasterboard suffice, but I'm pretty sure
MDF isn't allowed.

And you also want intumescent sealant ( http://www.screwfix.com/prods/70510
) around the edges and the joints.