Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Following the building code, wood instead of drywall?

On Apr 28, 7:23*pm, andyeverett wrote:
I have a customer whose basement flooded. The lower two feet of
drywall were removed from the finished section of the basement. To
simplify rebuilding and reduce possible damage my customer would like
to use something like t1-11 siding where the drywall is now missing.
It would be stained and sealed front and back along with the edges.
Trim would hide the joints at the bottom and where the drywall meets
the t1-11. My concern in doing this work is that this might not comply
with the national building code?

Thank you for any help.

You need to know the LBC code, or BHBC logic building code and butt
head building code, if its gonna flood why finish the basement. There
is a modular wall system from major manufacturer like maybe Dow or
another insulation maker where panels screw and snap into place that
can be removed and wont be permanently damaged by water if they are
cared for after a flood. How would wood be better than drywall if you
still trap moisture inside, it wont.