Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mark mark is offline

Default Ampex 601 Reel to Reel plays back fine but has only AC hum in recordmode

The input section has severe AC hum when recording via the Microphone
& direct line but playback through the output & headphone jacks is
fine. If anybody is familiar with working on these any help with
listing the usual high failure suspects & what parts should be
upgraded would be greatly appreciated. I just moved & misplaced my ESR
tester so I'll definitely need to find it to test all the old caps in
this one some of which obviously need to be replaced. I tried printing
out the schematic off the net but for some reason my computer
(Powerbook G4) wouldn't print it. I repaired TVs/VCRs/stereos for 35
years but not many vintage tube audio units.

Thanks, Mark