Edwin Pawlowski

Default Desperately need help: Woodstain over old Varnish won't dry!

"Mike" wrote in message

I have followed the instructions accompanying the product.

From what I read on their web page, the product is made for bare wood and
you put it over varnish or some type of finish. OK, you followd the
instructions, but used the wrong product.

Perhaps
you can wipe it up and clean off the gunk with mineral spirits, but, that

is
flammable and presents a danger.

What danger? It's not a running river of flammable goo, it's very
*slightly* tacky varnish.

The mineral spirits may pose a hazzard. It will give off vapors as it dries
and the vapor can ignite. Not as bad as gasoline, but still a potential
hazzard.

I'm not sanding it down. If a wooden floor must be sanded down
(or chemically stripped) each time the varnish is renewed, I'll
just ceramic tile it as the former is completely impractical imo.

Renewing the top coat of varnish is easy. Staining the already varnished
wood is a whole different story. That is what caused your problem from the
start. Perhaps a different product would work. Perhaps a urethane with a
tint will give you the finish and color you desire.

It's supposed to be a finished attractive floor, not a full time
occupation.

It will be if done right from the start. You will get many years of good
use and little effort if done properly.
Ed