Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Finally a gloat for me

On 2010-04-28, Kevin(Bluey) wrote:
On 4/27/2010 11:54 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:

[ ... ]

It is a bit noisy, too; thanks for the tip about the belts.

Jon

Could be the idler pulley bearing , I found on my rexxon the same .I
took the pulley out and found only one bearing , I machined the pulley
out to take two bearings and it quietened down by 40 points on the
Richter scale.

Also -- check to make sure that the idler pulley is not rubbing
on the inside of the belt cover. (If it runs more quietly when the
cover is open, this is likely the problem -- and it will vary somewhat
depending on what belt steps are being used.

IIRC, the cover is held on only by two screws, and the pivot for
the arm on which the idler is mounted goes through a larger hole into
the left-hand side of the casting. If it is rubbing, you can control
that somewhat by tuning the length of the belts in use -- or the less
expensive way is to drill new holes in the bottom half of the cover for
the two screws and the idler pivot so you can shift the whole cover
assembly a bit to the right to clear the belts on all belt settings.

The second fix is what I did with mine since I had just paid for
new belts after perhaps fifteen or twenty years of use. No need to pay
again for more belts.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564