Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Bill is offline

Default Router bit for cutting Deep mortise

" Rumple Stiltskin" wrote in message
"Jay Pique" wrote in message
On Apr 27, 4:22 pm, " Rumple Stiltskin" wrote:

Are you going to round the tenons? If not, you are still going to end up
with a chisel in your hand. Unless, of course, you spring for the drill
press and mortice chisel for it.- Hide quoted text -

I've not read anything about this, so this is merely anecdotal, but
I've used square tenons in rounded mortises before and not had any
problems. Just make your tenons a bit shorter on each end. I'm sure
the joint is weaker than a perfectly fit and glued M & T, but how
much? And is it significant?

Reminds me of some of the contractors who have shown up at my door--
anything to save a little time. My dad was a PE and after reviewing
documents he would put his seal on them (no, not a zoo animal).
Would you put your seal on a square tenon in a round mortise?