Posted to rec.woodworking
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default Router bit for cutting Deep mortise

Bill writes:
Rumple Stiltskin wrote:
"Jay Pique" wrote in message
On Apr 27, 4:22 pm, " Rumple Stiltskin" wrote:

Are you going to round the tenons? If not, you are still going to end up
with a chisel in your hand. Unless, of course, you spring for the drill
press and mortice chisel for it.- Hide quoted text -

I've not read anything about this, so this is merely anecdotal, but
I've used square tenons in rounded mortises before and not had any
problems. Just make your tenons a bit shorter on each end. I'm sure
the joint is weaker than a perfectly fit and glued M & T, but how
much?

And is it significant?

JP

You will be the best judge of that if it fails. Think about a bolt in a
nut that isn't exactly the right size.

A bad analogy. It really depends on the width of the tenon. For
a two-inch wide tenon, there will be plenty of glue surface.

scott