Posted to rec.woodworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default Lap joint on end of 2x4?

On 4/27/2010 8:06 AM, Mike Paulsen wrote:
Winston wrote:
The proper answer is 'buy or borrow a table saw with a dado blade'.

However, I don't want to.

I want to use my plunge router to place a 3-1/2" square lap joint
about 3/4" deep on the ends of several pressure treated 2x4s.

(snip)
What would SuperWoodworker do?

SuperWoodworker might double up 1x4s rather than cutting lap joints in
2x4s, depending on the application.

Great idea but 2 x 4 was the smallest PT lumber I could find.

As dpb says, grain orientation would prevent the joint from being
structurally sound anyway, so perhaps a steel frame or maybe
some "L" StrongTie joints.

http://www.strongtie.com/products/connectors/T-L.asp

Thanks for helping the noob, guys.

--Winston

--

Harley was venal, arrogant, despicable and a psychologist.
He was the second most redundant man I ever talked to.