Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Lap joint on end of 2x4?

On 4/27/2010 8:19 AM, dadiOH wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:
On 4/27/2010 12:36 AM, Winston wrote:
On 4/26/2010 7:14 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 4/26/2010 9:04 PM, Winston wrote:

I was hoping to take advantage of the raw wood in flat contact by
gluing the corner laps together for added rigidity.
Flatter would be better for that use, yes?

Consider a "glue" that can be used with pressure treated wood,

Whups. I guessed that the chemical treatment penetration would
be shallow enough that the core would remain reasonably unaffected.
I was thinking on the order of say 1/4" depth max.
I will have to check into this. Thanks for the heads up.

The whole point of pressure treatment is that it goes all the way
through.

Nope. Either that or you can get better PT than I can. There are also
different strengths of PT; eg, ground contact, direct burial, etc.

I have always heard - and agree - that if you cut a piece of PT the
resultant raw wood should receive an application of a fungicide. I always
do so with Cuprinol.

Any PT I've cut up is the same color all the way through. Yes, there
are different grades but that is due to different formulation and
concentration of the treating bath and to different treating techniques,
not to different degrees of penetration.

If it's dimension lumber and it's not the same color all the way through
(leaving aside heartwood vs sapwood) then it's crappy treatment and you
should return it and demand a replacement that has been properly
treated. Heavy pilings sometimes don't get quite that degree of
uniformity but even there most of the sapwood should be penetrated.