Posted to rec.woodworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default Lap joint on end of 2x4?

On 4/27/2010 6:59 AM, dpb wrote:
Winston wrote:
On 4/26/2010 9:04 PM, Winston wrote:

I was hoping to take advantage of the raw wood in flat contact by
gluing the corner laps together for added rigidity.

If I'm reading your intent correctly, the corner would be grain at
90-deg angles.

Yes.

Such a cross-grain joint will fail shortly even w/o the
exposure to weather.

Even with screws through the facing boards and through the lap joints?
I had no idea doug fir was that weak. I shall have to rethink this.

Perhaps I should weld up a steel box tube frame and use tek screws
to hold the facing boards to the front. That'd work but I suspect
it would have to be powder coated. This woodworking stuff is more
complicated than I thought it would be!

Forget the glue; if anything, a flexible glue
_might_ help serve as a moisture barrier similar to a caulk. The abutted
faces will be a moisture wicking point.

As for cutting them, I make the shoulder cut w/ the circular saw and
then use the bow saw (rip blade) to cut the length. Some practice and
can do that as clean or cleaner than any other way and as quickly as well.

I can't even place a proper axial cut with a band saw!

As you say above, it would all fall apart quickly anyway.

This is educational. Thanks for your thoughts.

--Winston

--

Harley was venal, arrogant, despicable and a psychologist.
He was the second most redundant man I ever talked to.