Posted to rec.woodworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default Lap joint on end of 2x4?

On 4/27/2010 6:51 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 01:43:14 -0400, the infamous "J. Clarke"
scrawled the following:

On 4/27/2010 12:36 AM, Winston wrote:

(...)

Whups. I guessed that the chemical treatment penetration would
be shallow enough that the core would remain reasonably unaffected.
I was thinking on the order of say 1/4" depth max.
I will have to check into this. Thanks for the heads up.

The whole point of pressure treatment is that it goes all the way through.

YOU, sir, have obviously never cut a pressure treated piece of lumber
in half. The core is never, in my experience, fully treated. Copper
solutions only penetrate about 1/4", as discussed above.

So, I learned *two* things this week.
They are mutually contradictory, but I stand by my count.

Larry, can I use regular wood glue to bond inner fibers of PT doug fir?
Would epoxy work better? Some other adhesive perhaps?

That's why I keep 2 colors of dye/preservative in my truck. I have to
daub it on the cut ends of PT lumber when I'm done so it matches and
is protected from bugs and moisture. http://fwd4.me/EMu brown (most
used) and http://fwd4.me/EMy (green) are what I've found locally.

Yup, I have a can of 'environmentally friendly' sealant for cut ends.
It seems to work because I saw no deterioration in some diagonally cut
4 x 4 s that lived in the sun and rain for a decade.

(...)

I've been using the epoxy coated deck screws, but find that upon
removal, half the epoxy is rubbed off. I'm in the process of
converting my stock to galv once again. I want my hard work to
outlast me. Square drive is definitely the best answer, too, with
combo (pozi and square) the next best thing. TORX is quite good, as
well, but square is my fave.

Ya got that right! I tested my first square drive fasteners in lumber
a couple days ago. Absolutely *no* cam-out, even with a 2-1/2" long
screw into dry wood. Solid, Jackson.

---

Discovered an interesting thing (parenthetically speaking).
The same screws are sold in entirely different ways per market.

A 5 lb box of coated 2-1/2" screws cost me $15.00 at the local 'pro'
wood monger. The box is marked "use with phillips *or* square driver".

The same screws from the same manufacturer sold at Home Depot is
priced at $28.00 and the box makes no mention of the 'square drive'
ability, though the heads are clearly the same. It's almost as if they
want you to cam the screw heads. Funny, that.

--Winston

--

Harley was venal, arrogant, despicable and a psychologist.
He was the second most redundant man I ever talked to.