Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Finally a gloat for me

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 06:15:55 -0700 (PDT), Andrew VK3BFA
wrote:

On Apr 26, 10:51*pm, "AIOE"
wrote:
(this message may duplicate from eternal-september when they get around to
sending it in a year or two)

(image links inline with text - questions towards the end)

======================

I have known for several years now that my little 1/4 hp, eight-inch swing
drill press was inadequate for all of my needs (especially the short swing)
My current project has put a head on this, so when providence lined me up a
suitable item, I followed through.

I now own an old Rexon RDM-100A drill press, 1/2 hp, 14" swing, which I
acquired for sixty bucks. Not a Gunner/Iggy "take the machine, the car, and
my teenaged daughter" deal, but I am very happy.

It is still a bench-mount unit, but substantially larger than my old Delta.
It is sturdy enough to do what I need to do with it, but still portable
enough to yard into the carport when I need to do a job outside.

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/Rexon01.jpg

It also uses an idler pulley, so I now have 16 speeds instead of five, and
can be more precise in my feedrate selections.

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/Rexon02.jpg

Something that I think is pretty neat is the built in location for a light
bulb (I'll need to work a spotlight in there on a hinge).

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/Rexon04.jpg

This is also the first drill press I have owned which uses a morse taper
(MT2) to accept the chuck arbor, so I will be able to mount drill bits using
collets in those cases when the chuck doesn't grip them tightly enough (what
all do I need to start working this angle?)

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/Rexon05.jpg

I was able to figure out that this machine is about the same as the current
Harbor Freight unit 38142, and have the manual for that machine. *That led
me to figure out the assumed function of the little chrome-plated handle
shown in this picture, but despite loosening the two thumb screws, the
handle doesn't want to turn more than an 1/8". *Where should I squirt some
lube to help free up this mechanism?

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/Rexon03.jpg

Anywho, I finally have a drill press that I can do some real work with.
Yay!

Jon

Hey, that was a good score - AND you were really lucky NOT to get the
teenage daughter as well, if you havent had one yourself, mm, ah,
yes, ..............you are blessed!!! (hopefully, they grow up to be
Human, rather than something just visiting from their home planet..)

Nice to have tools with a bit of grunt in them.

BTW - the car? - well, you know what a bull**** artist Gunner is,
wouldn't believe that bit. OK with the teenage daughter bit - anyone
want mine? - shes semi-house trained. (A lie well known to all
parents)

Andrew VK3BFA.

http://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch

Gunner