Posted to rec.woodworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default Lap joint on end of 2x4?

On 4/26/2010 7:14 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 4/26/2010 9:04 PM, Winston wrote:

I was hoping to take advantage of the raw wood in flat contact by
gluing the corner laps together for added rigidity.
Flatter would be better for that use, yes?

Consider a "glue" that can be used with pressure treated wood,

Whups. I guessed that the chemical treatment penetration would
be shallow enough that the core would remain reasonably unaffected.
I was thinking on the order of say 1/4" depth max.
I will have to check into this. Thanks for the heads up.

and be aware that a lap joint is one joint, particularly in this application,
that, in addition to being "glued", needs to be either pinned or screwed
together.

Yup. I bought a couple boxes of chemical resistant square drive
fasteners from a local 'pro' lumber shop. I figured the shorter
fasteners for the lap corners and the longer fasteners to attach the
fence boards to the frame. Lag bolts for the hinges.

--Winston

--

Harley was venal, arrogant, despicable and a psychologist.
He was the second most redundant man I ever talked to.