Posted to rec.woodworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default Lap joint on end of 2x4?

On 4/26/2010 1:06 PM, dadiOH wrote:
Winston wrote:

(...)

I am dubious about my ability to do that *twice*.

Ten minutes? Nah, 1 minute tops. Maybe you didn't cut the kerfs close
enough together? Leave no more than about 1/8 between them, pop them out (I
usually use a screw driver), if one breaks high, slick it off with a wide
chisel (1" or better), use the rounded rasp side to smooth down.

Ah! I was leaving perhaps 3/8" between cuts. I knew I was doing *something*
very wrong.

___________

So next, I will try J. Clarke's suggestion because that sounds like it
would give me a good chance at a flat face surface, quickly.

Yes, a fence and doing multiple pieces at one time is a lot faster with
either saw or router. If you use a router, start at the outboard end so you
don't leave the router base hanging over thin air.

I tried J. Clarke's suggestion just now and it worked a treat.
It was noisy, somewhat slow and messy but left a *very nice looking* step
that required no further attention.

As you guys say, I will gang the planks and cut multiple at once.
I will leave extra length and a step on the 'waste' side to support the router.
Then I'll just flip them over and saw off the step.

I can't believe how nicely that worked! Thanks!

I can afford to 'notch' the material then slice off the end if
necessary. Raw material is cheap. Time and talent are all but
nonexistent here.

After you do a couple you'll be an expert

Heh!

--Winston

--

Harley was venal, arrogant, despicable and a psychologist.
He was the second most redundant man I ever talked to.