Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default WHERE does weed killer get INTO the plant (leaves? roots? stem?mechanism?)

On Apr 25, 8:46*pm, Harry K wrote:
On Apr 25, 6:51*pm, ransley wrote:

On Apr 25, 4:31*pm, Elmo dcdraftwo...@Use-Author-Supplied-

Address.invalid wrote:
On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 11:52:24 -0700 (PDT), ransley wrote:
dont the roundup instructions state to spray leaves,
then it must be left to do its jobs which takes maybe weeks

But what is the mechanism that makes leaves "intake" (absorb, adsorb,
injest, osmosis, etc.) the poison.

Why would a leaf, which is an excretion organ of the plant for liquids
(transpiration) and gases (outgassing) ... why would that outgassing leaf
INTAKE the poison?

The water comes up the roots and out the leaves. Why would the leaves
intake the liquid poison?

They also take in, they breath so poison enters through the leaf and
affects the whole plant root and all.

I can't answer _why_ they take it in, just accept the _fact_ that they
do.

BUT: *Quit wasting your roundup - it works if applied properly.

1. On green growing things ONLY. *Spray on the ground is a waste and
does nothing.

2. Spray on leaves.

3. Spraying on stubs after cutting is not going to be very effective
although I will paint the stump of a tree I don't want sprouting with
pure Round UP. *Don't know if that works for sure but it makes me feel
better.

4. *After spraying WAIT. *Minimum of 10 days. *That is abotu the
earliest that any damage will be seen and not unusual for 2 weeks.

Most of the complaints "roundup doesn't work" is because people don't
wait _for_ it to work. *The newer products commonly also contain stuff
that will make the leaves wilt. *That is to satisfy the "it doesn't
work" brigade and is probably cutting the effectiveness of the
glypsophate somewhat.

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

Sorry, grabbed the wrong post. Meant for Elmo.

Harry K