Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Finally a gloat for me

Pete Snell wrote:

Nice catch Jon!

The handle is to adjust belt tension. I have a unit very similar to
yours but with a different name on it. ;-)

To change speeds; loosen the two thumb screws at the back, this will
allow the motor to slide forward, loosening the belts on the pulleys.
Put your belt on the desired pulley steps, then turn the handle to push
the motor back, which tensions the belts. Tighten the thumbscrews to
lock it and you're ready to drill.

On a side note, if the drive seems noisy, replace the drivebelts with
some good quality ones. The belts that came with it are probably kinda
'lumpy'. I also had to replace the chuck on mine, as it was pretty
wonky, but it's given me great service over the years.

Oh and BTW if you replace the light bulb with a smaller appliance
type bulb, you'll be less likely to smack it with something and break
it. DAMHIKT

I put a small floodlight in my drillpress so that all the light goes
down to the work, and not into my eyes.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.