Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
James Waldby James Waldby is offline

Default Finally a gloat for me / drill press

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 05:51:36 -0700, AIOE wrote:
I now own an old Rexon RDM-100A drill press, 1/2 hp, 14" swing, which I
acquired for sixty bucks. [...]
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/Rexon01.jpg [...]
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/Rexon02.jpg [...]
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/Rexon04.jpg

This is also the first drill press I have owned which uses a morse taper
(MT2) to accept the chuck arbor, so I will be able to mount drill bits
using collets in those cases when the chuck doesn't grip them tightly
enough (what all do I need to start working this angle?)

Ordinarily you would use drill bits with MT2 shank, rather than
collets with MT2 shank. Visually similar to those at, eg,
http://www.patented-antiques.com/images/cyntools/XX-c-tools-on/c-drilltools/PA010165.JPG
That picture probably has both MT2 and MT1 bits; use an MT2-to-MT1
adapter for latter. Pictured at eg
http://cuttingtools.en.alibaba.com/viewimg/photo/265155899/morse_taper_sleeve_adapter.jpg.html

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/Rexon05.jpg

I was able to figure out that this machine is about the same as the
current Harbor Freight unit 38142, and have the manual for that machine.
That led me to figure out the assumed function of the little
chrome-plated handle shown in this picture, but despite loosening the
two thumb screws, the handle doesn't want to turn more than an 1/8".
Where should I squirt some lube to help free up this mechanism?

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/Rexon03.jpg

The belt-tensioning handle should move much more freely, possibly
simplifying lubrication, if you take off the back belt. After you
loosen the "motor adjusting knobs" (the thumb screws) push the motor
forward, take off the belts, push motor in and out, lube the slides,
from inside and outside the head, etc. Rather than using the
tensioning handle to tighten the belts after changing speeds, on my
drill press I use a small crowbar between the motor and the back of
the drill press head to hold tension while I tighten the two knobs.

--
jiw