Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian C Adrian C is offline

Default Taking a tap apart

On 26/04/2010 14:26, John wrote:
Funny you mention taps, my bath hot tap 'head valve' refused this
morning to open to maximum. I get a dribble. Now, off to B&Q to get
another head (standard replacement bit inside - the last one didn't last
long).

I had the same problem (it was only going about a quartyer turn) - stripped
it and re-assembled - job fixed it. I believe the problem is due to water
getting past the first "O" Ring and then causing it to hydraulically lock
due to the water being incompressable.

To strip - remove the circlip on the shaft and press the spindle down to
remove the spindle from the body. Re-assemble with a bit of lubrication.

Hi John,

Thanks for that.

Striped it down and found in my case the issue was mechanical. There is
a hexagonal column on top of the spigot that sits on the hole where the
water comes up. This column is meant to disapear up the top of the
headwork by the turning of the worm screw inside, but here is where it
occassionally jams tight - and unfortunately I don't have a nearby handy
X-ray machine to see what brass parts interfere with each other. Oh
well, it's knackered.

Trotted out to B&Q and got a replacement (last time - £2.39, now £3.99!)
which fitted well. It'll do until the whole bathroom gets an upcoming
replacement.

--
Adrian C