Greg G.

Default Question About Cool Blocks

Mark & Juanita said:

One question that comes to mind in looking at your simulation, what is
causing the downward forces on the blocks in the frontal view? You are
showing a gap between the blades and the blocks; my understanding is
that the blocks are to be in contact with the back of the blade. If the
blocks are contacting the blade, it would seem that the blocks would be
pulled toward one another and provide mutual support to prevent a gap
from forming.

As mentioned in the text above the links, the gap was exaggerated so
that the human eye could perceive it. The downward force is the
movement of the blade. This 'invisible force' is handled easily in
software. The block pinch is not a desirable behavior. In fact, the
cool block instructions claim that they are to be set with clearance,
not against the blade. Tilting is not a desired action.

Doesn't matter, I just shimmed them. Cut up a 12" x 2' log into
planks. The WoodSlicer is a great blade, unbelievably quiet and very
little lead.

Merry Christmas!

Greg G.